Thomas S. Lontzek studied Economics at the University of Maastricht and the University of California, San Diego. He Holds a doctorate in Economics from the University of Kiel. Prior to joining RWTH Aachen University in 2016 as Professor of Economics, he was a research economist at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, 2007-2010, a post-doctoral research associate at the University of Zurich, 2010-2016 and a visiting scholar at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, 2012. His research focuses on numerical methods and their applications in economics.
- Economic Growth
- Quantitative Macroeconomics
- Resource and Energy Economics
- Computational Economics
- Climate Risk Management
- Decision Making under Uncerainty
Selected Publications and Recent Work
- Miftakhova, A; Judd, K.L.; Lontzek, T.S.; Schmedders, K.: Statistical approximation of high-dimensional climate models. Journal of Econometrics, forthcoming.
- Cai, Y.; Lontzek, T.S.: The social cost of carbon with economic and climate risks. Journal of Political Economy, forthcoming.
- Cai, Y.; Lenton, T.M.; Lontzek, T.S. (2016): Risk of multiple climate tipping points should trigger a rapid reduction in CO2 emissions. Nature Climate Change. https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate2964
- Lontzek, T; Narita, D.; Wilms, O. (2016): Stochastic integrated assessment of ecosystem tipping risk. Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Cai, Y.; Judd, K.L.; Lontzek, T.S.; Michelangeli, V.; Su, C.-L. (2016): A nonlinear programming method for dynamic programming. In: Macroeconomic Dynamics. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1365100515000528
- Lontzek, T.S.; Cai, Y.; Judd, K.L.; Lenton, T.M. (2015): Stochastic integrated assessment of climate tipping points indicates the need for strict climate policy. In: Nature Climate Change. https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate2570
- Cai, Y.; Judd, K.L.; Lenton, T.M.; Lontzek, T.S.; Narita, D. (2015): Environmental tipping points significantly affect cost-benefit assessment of climate policies. In: PNAS. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1503890112